Blogger / Blogspot
- On August 23, 1999, Blogger was launched by Pyra Labs. As one of the earliest dedicated blog-publishing tools, it is credited for helping popularize the format.
- In February 2003, Pyra Labs was acquired by Google under undisclosed terms. The acquisition allowed premium features (for which Pyra had charged) to become free. About a year later, Pyra Labs' co-founder, Evan Williams, left Google.
- In 2004, Google purchased Picasa; it integrated Picasa and its photo sharing utility Hello into Blogger, allowing users to post photos to their blogs.
- On May 9, 2004, Blogger introduced a major redesign, adding features such as web standards-compliant templates, individual archive pages for posts, comments, and posting by email.
- On August 14, 2006, Blogger launched its latest version in beta, codenamed "Invader", alongside the gold release. This migrated users to Google servers and included some new features.
- In December 2006, this new version of Blogger was taken out of beta.
- By May 2007, Blogger had completely moved over to Google operated servers.
- In October 2008, Turkey temporarily blocked access to Blogger.
Blogger was ranked 16 on the list of top 50 domains in terms of number of unique visitors in 2007.
Source, Wikipedia. Posted by DesignLondonDesignLondon